Generally, Balance Carry forward is used in consolidation to carry forward the closing balances of year-end to the current year. The first task of the new fiscal year is to carry forward the closing balances of the prior year to the current year.
This article will see details of following.
- Dimensions and Models used in Legal consolidation.
- The Setting of Master data for performing Balance carries forward.
- Creation of business rules and Logic scripts
- Data Manager Packages used for performing Balance carry forward.
- Reports to view the details of Balance carry forward.
1. Dimensions and Models used in consolidation:
Dimensions are the building blocks of every Model. These dimensions are used to store the Master data. Model is a collection of several dimensions that are designed to meet the requirements of Planning and Consolidation.
Dimensions used in Consolidation Model: Below are the details of dimensions used in the Legal Consolidation model
- Account: To maintain Chart of Accounts (Balance Sheet, Profit & Loss, Income and Expenditure) Information.
- Audit: The audit dimension is used to maintain the type of data source which is used in planning and Consolidation models.
- Category: Category Dimension is used to track the data in Planning and Consolidation. This Category dimension is used to store the versions.
- Entity: The Entity dimension is used to store the business units to derive the business process.
EX: Cost Center, Profit Center, and Geographic entity.
- Flow: The Flow dimension is used to define the different types of activities that should expect in a financial cycle. This dimension is also known as Movement type.
- Intercompany: It Contains the Intercompany code for the entities
- RPT Currency: This dimension is used to define the reporting Currencies to perform Currency Translation. This dimension contains the currencies which are needed for reporting and Local currencies.
- Scope: It is used for the consolidation process to define the consolidation Process.
- Time: This is used to define the different periods which are required.
By using the above Models Consolidation Model can be created to perform consolidated activities.
2. Scenario for performing Balance Carry forward:
This article will perform balance carry forward for the Balance Sheet Accounts for the Europe Entity. This data is maintained for Input Data source against Closing Flow for year-end. Once the Data Manager Package is triggered the closing balances of the year will carry forward to the opening balances of the following year.
The Setting of Master Data for performing Balance Carry Forward:
|S. No||Dimension||Properties||Master Data|
|2||Flow||Flow Type||Maintain as CLOSING and Opening wrt to ID of Flow|
|3||Audit||Copy Opening, Data Source type and Is Converted||Maintain the respective Properties with Y/N based on the requirement|
|4||Entity||Currency||Maintain Currency wrt Entity
Ex: Entity is Europe maintain Currency as EUR.
- Creation of business rules and Logic scripts:
Business rules: Business Rules are used to perform the selections for populating the source and destination fields by selecting the required Accounts. Below are the detailed steps for creating the Business rules:
- Navigate to the web and select the required Environment and connect.
- Select the Open Main Menu from the top left corner as shown below,
- Navigate to Administration, select Business rules from the Rules Tab as shown below,
- To Create Business Rules, select the Required Consolidation Model, and click on Add/remove Rule types as below,
- Select the Carry Forward rule type and click on Ok as shown below,
- Click on New and perform the required selections for Source Account, Source Flow, Source Audit, Destination Account, Destination Flow, Destination Audit, Reverse sign, Audit type, Same Period, Apply YTD, and Remark.
- Source Account: This specifies the account member from which to copy the closing balances.
- Source Flow: This specifies the flow member from which to move the closing balances.
- Source Data Source: This specifies the audit menbers from which to move the closing balances.
- Destination Account: This specifies the Account member to copy the opening balances. If the destination account is not maintained system will assume the source Account as the destination account.
- Destination Flow: This specifies the flow member where the opening balances are created. If the destination flow is not maintained system will assume the source flow as destination flow.
- Destination Data source: This Specifies the Audit member where the opening balances will be copied. If the destination Data source is not maintained system will assume the source data source as the destination data source.
- Reverse sign: The Reverse sign is used to Post the Opening balances in the reverse sign. This option is also used when the source and destination Accounts are maintained differently (Account types).
- Audit type: This is to select the data source type to include as A (All), M (Manual), and I (Input).
- Same Period: This option is used to carry forward the balances for the same period (If required this option is enabled).
- Apply YTD: This is used in the periodic model to move/copy the YTD values.
- Remark: This is used as Comments to enter against each entry.
Logic Script used for Balance Carry Forward:
To create Logic Script for the Balance, carry forward, Navigate to Administration->Logic Scripts->Select the required consolidation model-> click on New -> enter the required Logic Script name as below,
Validate and save the Logic Script.
4. Data Manager Packages used for performing Balance Carry forward:
To create a data Manager Package for performing balance carry forward, Open Microsoft Excel Navigate to Data Manager Tab and log in to the required consolidation model.
Below steps gives the details to create Package
- Navigate to Organize-> Organize package list-> select the below shown package -> click on Ok.
- Once the Package is created click on Modify Package-> Advanced and enter the Logic Script name as shown below,
5. Reports to view the details of Balance carry forward:
Below steps gives the details to create the report and view the details of balance carry forward
- Navigate to EPM add-in Login to required consolidation model-> Select the new report and perform required selections as shown below,
Note: 1.Select the Account, Flow, and Audit members which are used in Business rules.
- Select the Time as Current year End (Ex: 2019.12) and Fiscal year Start (Ex: 2020.01).
- Now execute the Balance carryforward Package with the below selections to move the closing balances of the prior year to the new Fiscal Year.
Note: As in our Scenario we are performing Balance carry forward to Europe. Perform Selections for ENTITY as Europe (C1000) and RPTCURRENCY (EUR).
- Once the Package is executed successfully, view the status and details of the package.
- Once the package is executed successfully, refresh and view the details of the package, the data from closing balances of the prior year will forward to the opening balances of the new fiscal year.
Prerequisites to perform balance carry forward:
- Maintain required Dimensions with Master data.
- Maintain appropriate business rules.
- Maintain the data for Accounts, Flow, and Audit (if required which is used in Business rules).
- Perform accurate selections in the data Manager package to carry forward the balances.
- Perform selections for a time as the new fiscal year.
Purpose of the article: This article gives the details of that how to set Master data, Business rules, Logic Scripts and generation of reports to perform carry forward of Balances from prior year to New Fiscal Year.
Intended Audience: Background of SAP-EPM Members (BPC)
** Journals Template
** Reopen Rules
References / Sources of the information referred:
Which MOURI Tech service, this article relates to-
Analyst – Analytics (EPM)