In any Oracle Hyperion project, as a part of the development, the migration of objects from one environment to another like (DEV TEST PROD) was done by a manual process using Hyperion Shared Services-LCM.
To make this process easier, now we will see how we can migrate the specified objects from one environment to a different one with one click.
Before going forward we should have minimum knowledge of the LCM process and how to do it.
What isLIFE CYCLE MANAGEMENT??
LCM (Life Cycle Management) is a Hyperion service that can migrate Hyperion applications or artifacts to other environments and operating systems. It is often accessed through the Shared Services Console.
This process includes many steps like:
- Developer gives a list of objects to be migrated from environment to environment
- Admin should validate the availability of the objects and manually export by selecting each of them.
- All the objects exported are going to be stored into a filesystem within the server
- Objects within the filesystem should be downloaded and uploaded into the new environment
- Re-validate the objects within the Target environment, that each one of the objects is correctly migrated.
Fig1: LCM process
Manual Migration Process:
There should be a list of objects which are to be migrated from one environment to different which is usually maintained in the form of excel.
Below are the scenarios for migrations
- Entire application (Hyperion Essbase/Planning)
- Individual objects
- Multiple objects of the same type (Calculation scripts or Rules files for Hyperion Essbase)
- Multiple objects of various types (Hyperion Planning/Essbase objects)
Fig2: Manual LCM process
- The list of objects to be migrated will be given by the developer.
- Admin needs to take therequired Approval for the object migration.
- Manual migration of objects for every individual (Manual LCM Process)
- Need to validate the exported objects with the list provided.
- Deploy the objectsto Target.
Automate Migrations for Hyperion EPM
The Microsoft Excel template with the list of objects can be used for LCM automation makes object migration a one-click easy process for the Administrator.
Fig3: Automated LCM process
- The excel template with the list of objects should be Approved before proceeding to further process.
- On one button click, we can trigger different python scripts to generate Export XML and export the objects listed in excel.
- We can also create an Import XML file and import the objects back the objects into the system based on the environment and the application name specified in Excel.
- Need to validate the objects in the target environment to confirm the error-free migration.
An Automated process built using the following Scripting Languages:
- Batch scripts
Benefits and Features:
- Purpose of the article – “Automate the LCM process in Hyperion using python”.
- Intended Audience – “Oracle Hyperion users”
The automated LCM migration process will give us error-free migration using the known Excel, reducing the time consumed and manual hours utilized in the manual migration process.
Contact for further details:
EPM -Analytics– Senior Analyst